Saturday, September 19, 2009

An 800 Kilometer Walk, but Why?

So for my 50th birthday, 5 years from this November the 6th, I plan on walking the Camino de Santiago de Compostela from the Pyrenees Mountains in the South of France to the West Coast of Northern Spain. Why would millions of somewhat sane people undertake this arduous journey? For many it's a religious trek upon which they either want to deepen their faith, repent and gain forgiveness, or rediscover their religious groundings. For me it's a test of will. Competing against myself. Driving myself forward. Going when my body says stop. For me, it's a way to experience history to walk in the footsteps of millions of pilgrims before me. For me its a way to see the marvelous Gothic architecture I've been studying in my Art History classes. So between my Master's and PhD, I'll load up my ultra lightweight backpack with all the wicking clothes I can fit, my first aid kit, and set off for a month of pleasure and hell all in one. Come, join me!

No comments:

Post a Comment